We found a wonderful deal on tyres on Tuesday. On CL in Flint, found the 14 inch tyres for the horse trailer, seemingly it's not a standard size anymore, although our Honda takes them too. He had some nice ones, a set of 4 which we needed, and for a cash and carry sale, without them having to mount them he charged $150. Asked about 15 inch tyres for our trailer that needed them too, we've been running it on the farm on the rims as the tyres were shot, yep, he had a good set also for $150. So, 8 new wheels for $300, and of course the fuel to Flint and back. It was a quick trip as we have the bottle lambs that need feeding, so didn't see any of Herbies family. Stopped at Harbour Freight for a Tyre changer, and once back home, Herbie put all the new tyres on and the trailers are safe to ride again, although he's not so sure about the frame on the equipment trailer. Now if we can just find the very odd sized, inner tube tyres for the shit-spreader, everything will be working as intended again. Now to get rid of the damaged ones.
I moved the chicks, keets and ducklings out to the side chicken yard on Wednesday. They are 2 weeks old, and starting to be really stinky in the garage. I fell when collecting them and killed one poor little Buff Brahma :( Put a kiddy pool upside down, hung the 2 heat lamps, put food and water out for them, and a water tray with a rock in it for the ducks, they all seem happy. Some have been getting out, so I keep checking, catching the escapees and putting them back, mending any holes I find. The area is rooved, but it does leak with heavy rain, but they were all fine this morning after last nights' / this mornings' rains. The one feed tray was wet, so I moved it under cover. The Aracuanas and keets that were with the ducklings in their kiddy pool in the garage were rather wet, and thus miserable, but I stood the unhappiest one directly under the heat lamp, and when I went out to check later couldn't identify the little one.
We have daffodils ! No sign of the tulips, but have a fair amount of yellow flowers.
The lambs, Niece and Hugh, are doing well, although Herbie hates being mobbed by them each time he steps into the garage. He has been feeding them, and they follow him around, keeping him company in the shed when he was changing the tyres. They love the Japanese maple in the front garden, and I suppose it's only a matter of time until they start on the roses, so I need to figure out where to put them, as they are rather unhappy in the garage all day. I give them hay, but they want the fresh stuff. The little black boy in the sheep pen is an escape artist. He keeps getting out and it's a repeat of last year - I can't catch where he gets out. I chase him around the perimeter until I can catch him and drop him back inside. His brother stays inside with mum and the others.
We took the horses out for a walk on Wednesday. Took them to some nice fresh grass, although it was difficult getting them to walk past the cows. Boytjie was bellowing and making threatening moves, had to keep walking Missy in circles. On the way back she broke away from me, running past Herbie and Max, and then she came back. I had rope burns on my hand, and she wrenched my sore arm. Caught her fairly easily, and tried again yesterday, she broke free of me on the way out ! She mustn't get it into her head that she's stronger than me, but without the full use of both my arms I'm not strong enough to hold her. Maybe I could tie her to the buggy and lead her out that way. Don't know if it will work. The first time she was easy to put a lead on, Max was impossible. The 2nd day, I caught Max easily, but Missy was difficult. Hmm, maybe it's easier to catch the first one, so I should try catching them together. Use apples to get them close, and rub them, still moulting. Also need to vary the trips around the farm as they are animals of routine, so don't want them to get used to one way every time.